Quickly before I show you the quilt this is the pouch that I made to store our Sat Nav in. I used the same pattern as for the Kindle Sleeve but used the pocket piece and the flap piece to make a smaller bag.
I used this Center City print for the whole thing and I love it, the Sat Nav fits nicely with its cord and I now feel like I can chuck it in the dash without breaking it!
So, this quilt was made using a free pattern from Cloud 9. I’m not going to link to the pattern here as last time I checked they’d not corrected it (I emailed them to let them know it had errors in it). There were a few things wrong with it including block sizes, fabric requirements and number of pieces to cut. I actually ran out of black fabric and had to wait for more to arrive before I could complete the last block which was rather annoying.
Despite the pattern issues I’m really happy with the finished quilt.
I really could have done a better job hanging it up but I got attacked by a rose, a holly bush and my Christmas tree that I’ve still not taken to the dump… It’s a pretty simple design made up of half square triangles. I used a collection of grey fat quarters I bought from The Surly Sheep (a lot of them were Daisy Jane Shades of Gray) along with a few extras from the stash. I only have a black and white printer so I had to make notes of the colour order on my pattern and also name all the fabrics as I wasn’t using the ones the pattern called for. When naming fabrics make sure if you use names like ‘wiggle’, ‘scribble’ and ‘squiggle’ that you remember which is which, I had to rip apart a couple of blocks when I forgot!
The solids are Kona black and white and Bella Solids (I think, got them from the FQS Christmas sale) in saffron and cranberry, apparently I like fabrics named after food!
I quilted it really simply, I think this is the least amount of quilting I’ve done on any of my quilts, I just sewed around the inside of each of the grey chevrons.
I can’t remember who made the binding fabric but I think it’s called Tuxedo Stripe, I really love the way it looks. I tried stitching in the ditch from the front of the quilt to attach the binding, it’s not as neat as the stitching from the back method I’ve used before but it works.
The backing looks really wrinkled here but it’s because the quilt has been washed and was hanging over a gate, it’s not wrinkled due to the quilting, promise! The fabric is Sketch and I love the way the chevrons show up! I used Aurifil 40wt in grey to piece and 50wt grey on the front and black on the back for the quilting.
And this is where it will live until I make another quilt! Every quilt I make (bar the ones specifically made for the beds) lives on the sofa for a while so I can see it. I think I’m doing a good job at making it impossible to sit on the sofa due to the number of cushions on it, a few more and I should be there! No, I didn’t make the owl, when I looked at all the different fabrics on it and the construction it was well worth the price to buy it!
I’ve got my next quilt planned and all the fabric out and ready to be cut when I’m ready to start another one. It was nice to make a quite simple quilt and it only took me a couple of weeks start to finish including waiting for the fabric to arrive.