I was waiting to show you a shirt I made until I had another FO to go along with it as I think that posts about one thing can be a little bit dull. All of a sudden I’ve got 4 things to show you!
So, first up, the shirt. This is from Simplicity 4179.
The fabric is lawn and it has given me problems finding a pattern that would use up most of it but didn’t need more than I had. Finally I matched this one up with it and I thought that it would look great. Sadly I’m a little ‘meh’ about the finished shirt. I still love the fabric, I love the buttons and I like the style of the shirt, I’m just not sure that they all work together well. Maybe I just had really high hopes for it and it’s turned out nicely but not brilliantly like I wanted it to.
I can’t remember where I got the buttons now, I’m thinking maybe Duttons in York but perhaps not. Definitely a labour of love to sew 6 on by hand though, I avoid hand sewing as much as I can as you know.
The shot from the back shows the peplum a little bit better. I used french seams on this and it looks lovely and neat and tidy inside. The armholes and neckline are finished with bias strips of the same fabric (the pattern provides the pieces). The pattern is drafted well and goes together easily so it wasn’t a sewing issue that made me feel down on it.
It’s a little tight for me at the moment (maybe another reason that I’m not super excited about it) so maybe when it does fit me I’ll have gotten over the way I feel about it.
Sometimes you’re knitting and knitting and knitting away on something and you are surprised that suddenly you’re almost done. That’s how it was with Bloom. It felt like it went on forever and then I was on the last bit of it.
It’s a very simple pattern from Rowan 36 and I used just over 7 balls of Stylecraft Sirocco which is a slubby cotton linen mix. It’s knit side to side and the sleeves are formed using short rows. The back and the front are exactly the same so 2 pieces and 4 seams and it’s done. You can see the sleeves a bit better when it’s laying flat.
This is another one for the ‘almost’ box. I kind of knew it wouldn’t fit as the pattern only went up to a 40″ chest. It won’t need a lot of weight to come off to fit well and I’m looking forward to wearing it, it will be really useful I think.
I started some trousers after finishing the shirt and they’ve been sitting upstairs half done all week so I finished them off this morning. It’s really hard to take a picture of trousers as you can’t put them on the dressform but I will wear these as soon as the weather complies so you can see them better on the ‘what I wore’ blog (link on the left hand sidebar).
This fabric is a kind of linen cotton mix but I have no idea exactly what. I also can’t figure out exactly what colour it is. Sometimes it looks like black marl, sometimes grey and sometimes blue. I sewed it with dark grey thread which blended in quite well but finding buttons that worked was an issue. I almost put yellow buttons on but decided against it when I realised I really liked the yellow buttons and wanted to use them where they’d be seen, these buttons will most likely always have a shirt or t-shirts over them as I don’t tend to tuck things in.
Useful patch pockets and belt loops. The pattern is Simplicity 2367 and I am sure I’ll use it again in the future. Oh, and you probably can’t tell from the laying down shot but these are cropped trousers (maybe 3/4 length).
Finally I cast on last night for a dishcloth using some dishcloth cotton from my stash and finished it after lunch today. It’s just moss stitch on 47 stitches using 5mm needles. I love it and it went right into the kitchen, I must do a few more as the old ones I did years ago have holes and the shop bought ones I have are decidedly grey and dingy.
I have 5 more balls of the dishcloth cotton stashed so there’s no reason not to get a few more done sooner rather than later.
Next up sewing wise is the last pair of Jim’s pajamas which I’ve put off for far too long, off to cut those out now.
Have a great rest of the weekend!