I have finally managed to find my sewing mojo, but it’s come back in a very scatter-shot way. Instead of my usual start to finish on one project I’m doing a bit on one thing and then starting something else then finishing something then finding something new to work on. I’m not going to argue with it though, at least I’m sewing and making progress and I actually have a few things to show you!
First up is my Woodland Sampler which I’ve finally gotten up to date with thanks to the boys having chicken pox, I sat on the sofa and worked on this each afternoon.
I actually enjoyed doing February the best, a solid block of stitching seems easier for my brain to understand than having to move here there and everywhere. There are few mistakes in this, and some mango chutney near the deer’s feet that needs to be cleaned off (don’t eat bread sticks with chutney over your cross stitch even if you think you’re being careful…) but I’m happy with what I’ve done so far and looking forward to next month’s pattern arriving.
In fact I’ve been enjoying doing the cross stitch so much that I have started another one while I’m waiting for the next instalment of the sampler. It’s a pretty simple one so it shouldn’t take too long and I’m liking the way it looks so far. I seem to definitely have the cross stitch bug now and find myself spending ages on Etsy looking at different patterns…
I also managed to finish off another knitting project, this is the Bramblewood Vest
I used Patons Cotton Twist Aran which I got from Kemps for 99p a ball (they still have some and I went back yesterday and bought more for 2 small projects…). It was a little splitty but really nice to knit with and i like the way it’s come out. I added a ball of yarn’s worth of length to it because by the time it stretched widthwise it was shorter than I wanted it to be. Besides that it’s exactly to the pattern and was a pretty simple knit.
The only thing I don’t like is the difference in my knitting between when I knit back and forth and knit in the round, purling really messes up my work which is annoying. I’m hoping that when I get around to blocking it it’ll even up a bit. I do love the applied i-cord edging on this though, it makes it so neat and tidy.
I have been casting on a bit randomly with my knitting too. I realised that I want to give Jim the dinosaur I bought the kit for at the Knitting and Stitching Show for his Birthday which is in just over a month so I probably should get on with it. I’ve been working on it in the evenings so it remains a surprise. I also have been working on his Weasley Sweater and have finished the back and am working slowly up the front as he wants his initial on it and I don’t like doing colour work at all. I also cast on for Nori from the newest Knitty and a pair of plain socks using some Wendy Happy that’s stripey and pink (one sock down almost halfway through the second). Hopefully none of these will stay on the needles too long, I seem to have projects everywhere!
Finally, a sewing project. My cat Lavinina set a live mouse lose in the kitchen a while back and it made itself a nice bed in the cupboard under the kitchen sink by eating the hot water bottle cover I had knit myself… I’d seen a tutorial for sewing a cover but hadn’t found any heat proof batting (although thinking of it regular batting would probably work just as well…) , I bought some to make oven gloves with at some point and also for this and it’s been sitting there a couple of months now. Yesterday I was printing off a few tutorials when I came across the one for the cover so I dug through the fabric, got cutting and came up with this.
My quilting isn’t always that brilliant and it’s a little tight for my hot water bottle but the Koka cord is SO SOFT and I love the pink and grey combination and the fabric’s together (Madrona Road Haystack inside). It’s quilted with Aurifil 50wt in grey, I feel like I’m trying to see how many projects I can work on without changing the tread in my machine, I’m now on number 3 and thinking that I might start number 4 using the same colour later…
Anyway, I’m very happy with it and hopefully no mouse will eat it, I’m going to go and find that bit of thread in bottom right of the 3rd picture now and remove it…
Hopefully will have more to show soon if I can settle long enough to finish anything!