I didn’t get my usual end of year knitting finish up done in 2015 for obvious reasons. I packed lots of knitting to take to the hospital with me but felt so terrible that I managed about 10 rows in total the whole time I was there. I am working on the finish up now and have made progress on a few things since I’ve been home, I will save the January finishes for another post though and just wrap up 2015 in this post.
For some reason I never had a picture of my Folded sweater before now, not sure what happened except I was extremely irritated to run out of yarn right before the end. Also, the larger size isn’t photographed in the pattern or Ravelry page for this pattern and the gathering is much lower than the size shown so even though I managed to hunt down the extra ball of the discontinued yarn I needed I didn’t get quite what I expected from it. It’ll be a useful around the house jumper but I’m still not in love with it and have only worn it a couple of times since I finished it in the summer, thus the creases in it from being shoved into my over-full jumper drawer.
On the heels of the successful Quick Sand make I cast on for a Fine Sand using the House of Hemp yarn I’ve had in my stash forever. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out as the hemp changes quite a bit when washed and I wasn’t scientific at all about figuring out how it would change, but I was tired of the yarn sitting there making me feel bad for not using it (it was far more expensive than any other yarn I’ve bought) so I knit away, chucked it in the machine on the wool wash and hoped for the best. This is the texture of the knit before washing
Quite uneven and stiff, after washing it is still a bit itchy but it gained a nice amount of drape and didn’t shrink in width which pleased me.
I really like the way it’s come out so it’s a definite win for these patterns and I’m sure I’ll use them again in the future as they’re really comfortable and wearble.
Back in October I made up the Arum top that was on my ‘to make’ list. As expected it did come up too small for me, I’m sure it would be pretty easy to size up, but with my limited sewing time I will probably not bother to be honest. The fabric was only £1.99 and it may fit me one day, who knows.
It’s a really easy pattern and it goes together quickly and easily so I’d recommend it if you fit in the size range. Early November I made another Fen, this one a round neck using some fabric I got at Fabric Land about 4 years ago. I love this shirt, it’s easy to wear and really comfortable, although I’m still considering going down a size in this pattern as they are coming up really huge which works well for drapey fabric but wouldn’t for something with more body.
The details are nice on it, but it’s just really big and shapeless. I used a piece of vintage fabric that’s a stable synthetic knit. It’s the kind of thing I’d wear around the house on a warm day but not in public as it does absolutely nothing for me at all and the neckline it too wide, must remember to stop making sacks…
So, finally, the totals for the year:
13 knits in total: 1 hat, 6 cardigans, 1 jumper, 1 child’s jumper, 3 shawls and 1 pair of socks.
Nowhere near the biggest knitting year I’ve had but I’m making more things that I will actually wear rather than churning out things that live in a drawer for a few years and then go to the charity shop. I’ve also managed to begin using up yarn that’s been in my stash for ages but I have gone off the pattern I intended to use it for. That’s something I want to continue doing this year to carry on reducing the stash, still working on the ‘getting it all into one cupboard’ plan!
I currently have 2 FOs to show you along with 7 projects on the needles; 2 pairs of socks, 2 cardigans, 2 shawls and a jumper. Those are the things I want to try and finish off (or at least a chunk of them) before allowing myself to cast on for new things, some have been WIPs for a really long time and one of those cardigans I really really want to wear so I need to actually work on it for that to happen.
Quilting was slow this year, but having covered the house in quilted items in the previous few years it was probably time to make a bit less, and I have quilting plans for this year so I will hopefully produce more of that this year. I made 1 quilt, a coffee carafe cover and 2 bee blocks. There was a little quilting in a bag too but I’m counting that as a sewing project.
I’m surprised by the sewing total of 27 things, it felt like I’d made a lot less. It comes out as 2 pairs of children’s dungarees, 6 bags/cases, 2 t-shirts, 3 sweatshirts, 3 dresses, 1 pair of curtains, 3 pairs of pyjamas and 7 shirts.
I have actually been thinking about making less garments, I have a wardrobe stuffed with things to wear and my chest of drawers is overflowing, so making more and more things seems wasteful. I’m going to try and consider what I really need rather than just making things willy nilly that hardly get worn as it’s a waste of time and fabric. Also, at the moment I’m living in sweatpants and will be until the swelling from the surgery goes down so ‘real’ clothes aren’t really worth the sewing time.
Finally, I read 155 books in 2015, which works out to about 3 a week and probably explains why I sew and knit less than I have done in years where I’ve read less! No apologies for filling my time with both good and not so good books though, I love reading and intend to keep my totals as high as I can!
Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year and I look forward to sharing my makes with you in 2016!