I did quite a lot of sewing last month, and I made a good dent in the balance between fabric bought and fabric used. My favourite activity at the moment seems to be filling shopping baskets in online fabric shops and then leaving quickly before I enter my card details. The odd one is still getting through here and there but I’m a lot more restrained than I was last month!
So, I finished up the pyjamas for the boys, these are for Jim using Kwik Sew 1557 and flannel from the Color Me Flannel co-op group on Yahoogroups.
The sharks are pretty big on the fabric which made placement a little difficult but I think I did ok with them!
Next up were the final pairs using the same pattern for Jim and 1556 for Piggle. The boys still like having matching things, I’m sure in the next few years Jim will refuse to be seen in anything his brother would wear! Flannel came from the same co-op.
When cutting out the trousers for Jim I remembered to put the fabric back to back so I didn’t end up with 2 legs of the same side but totally forgot that I had decided to cut this as a directional print so one of the legs on his pyjamas are ‘upside down’, but I don’t think anyone will notice unless I point it out to them (his are under Piggle’s in this picture so you can’t see either!). I had to buy buttons for these as I didn’t have anything suitable, my Mother actually chose them, they’re clear and a little chunky and I think they look great.
I’ve had this Summer Reading Library Bag tutorial from Sew Mama Sew bookmarked for ages. I can only think that someone else linked to it as I don’t read that blog! Anyway, I was sorting my bookmarks and printed it out. Later on I was ordering another quilting ruler from Cotton Patch and saw that they did duck cloth so I let the boys pick a print each and bought the fabric for them.
The pattern has an apple on the front to match the fabric but the boys wanted their initial on them. I played around in Word with fonts until I found one I liked and then went up and up in font size until I got it large enough. I actually loved the typewriter font the most but it was too thin and would have been a right pain to sew around so I went with this fatter font. I ironed the fabric onto the fusible web I’ve been using for years now (you iron it onto fabric, pull off the backing and iron that onto something else, very handy), cut out the paper letter and then pinned it onto the fabric and cut around it. After ironing it onto the bag I machine stitched around the edge of it. I’m so happy with the way the letters came out, however, the pattern tells you how far over to put your apple/letter from the edge but not how far from the bottom so when it came to sew the corners to make the bottom of the bag square I had to sew at one inch rather than one and a half otherwise I would have sewn the bottom of the letters in.
The bags have a pocket on the strap to hold the library card and I found some great buttons in the button box to go with the fabrics they picked. The only real mistake I made was whilst cutting the fabric for the first bag. I should have cut the strap lining first rather than the square pieces as I had to piece the strap lining together on the above bag. The fabric is so bright you can’t see it but it was a stupid mistake! Also, the pattern calls for half a yard of patterned fabric and I have tons left over from each, you only need the width for the strap lining.
I love this duck cloth, it’s not cheap but it was really nice to work with. I washed it first as with kids they’re going to get them dirty at some point and I didn’t want shrinkage. It was a right pain to iron it flat afterwards but well worth it I think. The bags also have french seams which was funny to sew on such thick fabric but gives it a lovely finish. In fact the finish on this bag is really good all around, very well planned by the designer.
There is a front pocket on the bag for storing lists or reading scheme info or just another book or two. The bag is big enough for the larger books that Piggle gets and holds 5 ‘chapter’ books and a book on CD for Jim.
Overall I’m really chuffed with these, sometimes things don’t turn out how you hope and I made these totally on a whim but we all love them and it’s made keeping track of library books easier as the bags hang on the bedroom door handle and the boys put the books in them when they’re done with them.
Another bit of recent sewing for the boys are some long sleeve t-shirts for Piggle as he’s grown out of most of the ones he’s got. I used the Minikrea 50220 pattern. I had traced the 4 year old size for him but when I held it up to him it was going to be too small (he does have long arms and a long torso for his age) so I traced the 6 instead and it fits him very well in that ‘I’ll grow into this soon and it’ll fit me perfectly for about two weeks and then look too small’ ways that kids clothes seem to fit!
I finished up the stripes and bugs fabric finally, used most of the helicopters but still have tons of the emergency vehicle fabric left, I’ve no idea how much I bought but I seem to have been using it for years!
These t-shirts have the cuffs and collar bound with ribbing which took a little getting used to, it was hard to catch the ribbing sometimes but I got there in the end and I like the way it looks.
I’ve made a sweatshirt for Jim too but the sleeves have come out far too long for him so when I have better use of my hand I need to go back and shorten them so he can actually use his hands whilst wearing it. I’ve got a couple of other things still to show too, back soon!